The Catholic Women’s League (CWL) of Canada was organized nationally on June 17, 1920 and granted federal incorporation on December 12, 1923.
The League is officially recognized by the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops (CCCB) as a lay association of women and is affiliated with the World Union of Catholic Women’s Organizations (WUCWO), a world-wide federation holding membership in the conference of International Catholic Organizations (ICO) and having consultative status with agencies of the United Nations.
- to achieve individual and collective spiritual development.
- to promote the teachings of the Catholic church.
- to exemplify the Christian ideal in home and family life.
- to protect the sanctity of life.
- to enhance the role of women in church and society.
- to recognize the human dignity of all people everywhere.
- to uphold and defend Christian education and values in the modern world.
- to contribute to the understanding and growth of religious freedom, social justice, peace and harmony.
The League has something of interest for all women in the parish and has a broad scope of activities that can use many of the gifts and talents God has given each of us. We are part of the united voice for Catholic women when representatives meet with the provincial and federal governments.
Guest speakers are occasionally invited to present to the group on a number of interesting topics pertaining specifically to women.
The CWL has coordinated and participated in many fundraising events that have benefited our community such as the annual Garage Sale, Christmas Bazaar and Breakfast with Santa, Eliza House project, Soap For Hope weekends, and our Shoe Drive, both of these last 2 activities are in conjunction with CFFC helping communities.
No pre-registration is required to attend one of our meetings. Through membership in the League, women have a chance to promote friendship with other catholic women, share their talents, enjoy and learn from informative guest speakers and participate in events that will benefit the Parish and the community as a whole.
The Catholic Women’s League of Canada calls its members to grow in faith and to witness to the love of God through ministry and service.