St Mary Star of the Sea

Roman Catholic Church, Mississauga, Ontario

Parish Information

St Mary Star of the Sea Cemetery - A Walk through our Past

As part of our 100th Anniversary celebrations, our own parish historian, William Revill, has put together two documents which complete his research into the St Mary Star of the Sea Parish Cemetery.  You can review the Parish history through William's lens and discover where we came from and whose footsteps we follow.    

Roman Catholics, who emigrated to Canada from Ireland and settled in the Port Credit area, were zealous in their devotion towards God and their chosen faith.  Arriving in the early 1800’s, with no priest or church in the immediate vicinity, they made long arduous trips to the Fifth line, to Trafalgar, or to St Paul’s in Toronto to attend mass and receive the sacraments. 

In 1880, at a cost of $2000, the original St Mary Star of the Sea Church was completed with the sacristy added a few years later. It would remain a mission church of St Patrick’s Church in Dixie until 1914, at which time it became a separate parish.  In order to help the fledgling church with finances, St Mary’s was also given a mission church in Streetsville.  A rectory was added during this time.

The church community continued to grow until the church became too small for the parish.  In 1952, Monsignor Sheridan turned the first sod and blessed and laid the cornerstone for a new church. The stained glass windows from the original church were placed in the new church which was officially opened in 1953 by His Eminence Cardinal McGuigan of Toronto.  The old church was renovated and served for many years as a convent for the Grey Sisters of the Immaculate Conception.

The new rectory was added to the back of the church in 1960.

Before the 75th Anniversary celebrations in 1989, extensive renovations began to the nave and sanctuary.  In 1995, air conditioning was added along with an elevator for the disabled and a remodelled basement.

And now, in 2014, we are celebrating our 100th Anniversary!  We give thanks for the many priests appointed to the parish over the years who have served tirelessly, tending to the many duties of a busy parish and maintaining the church as a beautiful House of the Lord.  They are deserving of our heartfelt gratitude for devoting their lives to assisting us in our journey towards spiritual and eternal salvation.