The federal government has introduced Bill C-7, An Act to Amend the Criminal Code (Medical Assistance in Dying). To help engage parishioners regarding this issue, we have the following resources that we encourage you to make use of – all of these can be accessed by visiting:
Archdiocese of Toronto - Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide
1) Statement from Cardinal Collins – Text is available in English and French. A video of the His Eminence sharing the statement is also accessible for download and sharing in parishes, on websites and social media, etc.
2) Bulletin/pulpit announcements – Sample pulpit/bulletin announcements are available to help direct parishioners to the Help the Living website
where they can write directly to their Member of Parliament to express their deep concerns. We have also attached the file of bulletin announcements for your convenience.
3) Backgrounder/infographics – A one page bulletin insert or resource for the back of the church, “Nurture Life, Oppose Death on Demand” can be downloaded for your convenience. Simple infographics are also available for social media or website use.
4) Websites – Archdiocese of Toronto - Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide
will be the online home for resources, with more added as they become available. We will also include links to other helpful articles on euthanasia (Under “News Coverage”) in light of the discussion around new legislation being introduced. Help the Living is a simple website, designed primarily to allow people to write directly to their Member of Parliament. The design is generic to allow for both religious and non-religious groups to utilize.
5) Parish Education Seminar – For those parishes with a desire to have a more in depth conversation about euthanasia (evening or weekend event), you may wish to consider inviting Kevin Dunn (DunnMedia) to your parish. A Hamilton filmmaker and international Catholic speaker, Kevin has been travelling throughout Europe and North America with his talk “Living, Dying and the Power of Presence” which features clips from his films: Fatal Flaws: Legalizing Assisted Death and the Euthanasia Deception (all seen on EWTN). Kevin is planning a speaking tour in Toronto as he has devoted considerable time to this as a full time ministry. There is a modest cost to parishes. He is speaking to staff at the Catholic Pastoral Centre in early March. To learn more, his website can be accessed at:
. It is difficult to know how quickly the legislation will move forward in the House of Commons. That said, it is likely that this process will take at least the next month or more. We know that many within the Catholic community do not fully understand the impact of euthanasia in our country so it is our hope and prayer that these resources will provide an opportunity to inform and engage the faithful.